Ceiling,Cabinets, and Social Distancing updates

St. Patrick’s day is my favorite holiday. I avoided working this day for at least the first ten years of my career. I celebrated with hiking and skiing followed by apres hiking and skiing. More recently, I have hosted St. Patrick’s day picnics. Last year’s was complete with a casual Irish music session, kids Easter egg hunt, and plenty of Guinness.

We planned ahead this year and picked up a few cases of Guinness. Now we may be among a small group of people that currently have a bigger supply of Guinness than toilet paper.

CD and the kids embraced the holiday by delivering Guinness and paper shamrocks to friends’ and neighbors’ porches.

The Sprinter project is making slow but steady progress. CD offered me a guided tour. He also offered to write the following update.

Per CD:

After reading Sprinter-forum obsessively and debating every detail, I ordered t-slot aluminum for the rails. The rails will be used to mount the cabinets. The ceiling will be split into multiple sections. The panels will be removable so that solar can be added if needed. I am non-committal, so locking myself in by ordering materials was a big step.

I took an even bigger leap when I drilled holes in the ceiling ribs for the first series of rivnuts. I did most of them yesterday but one more today, which required temporarily displacing the hoses for the rear A/C unit. I thought it might make a useful video, so Molly took some footage so I could hold hoses and drill at the same time.

As it turned out, drilling out the rivnut wasn’t nearly as effective as shearing off the flange with an old chisel and hammer. The rivnut started to spin after being drilled a bit, making the drilling no longer an option but only a source of high-pitched squealing.

I spent a fair amount of time fishing insulation through the smaller bits of the van recently and this made it much easier to get the half of the rivnut that was left inside the beam. It probably would’ve been even more useful if I had just taped a piece of string to it so I could have just pulled it out after it was free.

I also recommend (per a comment on Sprinter-Forum) using a neodymium magnet to catch the shavings as you drill holes. It’s significantly decreases the mess. I placed one next to the drill bit on most of holes and it caught a most all the shavings.

In any case, progress is being made. Video and pictures to follow.

Stay home. Stay healthy. Slainte.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Ceiling,Cabinets, and Social Distancing updates

St. Patrick’s day is my favorite holiday. I avoided working this day for at least the first ten years of my career. I celebrated with hiking and skiing followed by apres hiking and skiing. More recently, I have hosted St. Patrick’s day picnics. Last year’s was complete with a casual Irish music session, kids Easter egg hunt, and plenty of Guinness.

We planned ahead this year and picked up a few cases of Guinness. Now we may be among a small group of people that currently have a bigger supply of Guinness than toilet paper.

CD and the kids embraced the holiday by delivering Guinness and paper shamrocks to friends’ and neighbors’ porches.

The Sprinter project is making slow but steady progress. CD offered me a guided tour. He also offered to write the following update.

Per CD:

After reading Sprinter-forum obsessively and debating every detail, I ordered t-slot aluminum for the rails. The rails will be used to mount the cabinets. The ceiling will be split into multiple sections. The panels will be removable so that solar can be added if needed. I am non-committal, so locking myself in by ordering materials was a big step.

I took an even bigger leap when I drilled holes in the ceiling ribs for the first series of rivnuts. I did most of them yesterday but one more today, which required temporarily displacing the hoses for the rear A/C unit. I thought it might make a useful video, so Molly took some footage so I could hold hoses and drill at the same time.

As it turned out, drilling out the rivnut wasn’t nearly as effective as shearing off the flange with an old chisel and hammer. The rivnut started to spin after being drilled a bit, making the drilling no longer an option but only a source of high-pitched squealing.

I spent a fair amount of time fishing insulation through the smaller bits of the van recently and this made it much easier to get the half of the rivnut that was left inside the beam. It probably would’ve been even more useful if I had just taped a piece of string to it so I could have just pulled it out after it was free.

I also recommend (per a comment on Sprinter-Forum) using a neodymium magnet to catch the shavings as you drill holes. It’s significantly decreases the mess. I placed one next to the drill bit on most of holes and it caught a most all the shavings.

In any case, progress is being made. Video and pictures to follow.

Stay home. Stay healthy. Slainte.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s