Sleeping 4 in a Sprinter 144 is our challenge. I knew that it could be done but we wondered if we could do within our budget.
- We need two beds.
- Our budget is a consideration.
- We can’t sleep on the van floor because then we have to move everything.
- Sprinter camping should be fun!
Our Plan for Sleeping 4 in our Sprinter
CD came up with a plan. I didn’t see his vision. He resorted to talking with neighbors. A short time later, and to my surprise, we had storage boxes and two beds!
The Final Product: High Roof Sprinter 144 with 2 Beds.
- The first bed is a fixed structure behind the third seat. It has storage underneath.
- Two mattresses are stored on the first bed during the day. One mattress was custom cut. The mattress measurements are as follows.
Bed #1: 54 x 72
Bed #2: 48 x 68
3. We remove the second and fourth rows and leave the third row in place.
4. Bed #2 gets built in front of the third row as needed.
5. Wooden storage cabinets are secured behind the driver’s and passenger’s seats. These are constructed in such a way as to support bed #2.
6. Bed #2’s platform pieces are stored next to the third seat. Directions to construct are below.
7. The second mattress gets pulled down from the first bed and placed on the newly constructed second bed.
To construct the Bed #2, follow these steps:
- Piece 1 goes under our cooler to add height to the cooler and allow it to be part of the support system.
- The next piece is a bridge between the two fixed storage boxes.
- Piece 3 is a 2 x 4 that pulls forward and attaches on the passenger side storage box.
- The final piece is a hinged piece that opens and covers the remaining space. It is supported by the storage box edges and the 2 x 4.
10 Reasons We Love Our Two Beds
- The total price tag was under $500. This includes two mattress, one of which was custom cut.
- Bed #2 is elevated off of the floor so that shoes and other items can be stored underneath.
- There was a steep but short assembly learning curve. We are quite proficient at assembly and can even assemble with the kids asleep in their seats.
- We can sleep two people per bed and not feel crowded.
- The mattresses are comfortable.
- Our “>luggable loo is easy to access.
- Our cooler is helpful rather than in the way.
- I can sleep head to toe or side to side. CD is a bit more limited in his choices, however.
- We can assemble the second bed in under 10 minutes and without stepping foot outside the van or opening the door. This is amazing news during a downpour.
- We wake up well rested!
Our Inaugural Sprinter Van, Sleeping 4 Conversion
We drove 8528 miles with a trip timer of 190 hours, 55 minutes and we slept at campgrounds, friends’ driveways, gas stations, Walmart, rest areas, and parks. No matter where we slept, we woke up well rested and ready to go!
CD’s second bed conversion is pure genius as far as I am concerned.
Please follow our blog for other Sprinter family adventures!